Miguel Alvelo-Rivera is a board-certified thoracic surgeon whose clinical interests include malignant pleural and peritoneal mesothelioma.
- Favors multidisciplinary team approach to cancer care.
- Devotes research energies to exploring ways of reliably detecting mesothelioma at earliest possible stage and improving minimally invasive surgical techniques.
- Authored numerous peer-reviewed journal articles.
- Fellow of American College of Surgeons.
- Member of the Society of Surgical Oncology.
- Named 2008 Thoracic Surgery Faculty Member of the Year by University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine.
- M.D. degree from University of Puerto Rico Medical Sciences Campus.