Veena B. Antony is a board-certified pulmonary disease and internal medicine physician who specializes in treatment of malignant pleural mesothelioma.
- Noted international authority on asbestos exposure and how it causes pleural disease.
- Spearheading development of the Environmental and Occupational Medicine program within the university’s Deep South Center for Occupational Health and Safety.
- Research interests include thoracoscopy as an investigational tool, the study of cell-to-cell junctional proteins, fibrotic responses in the pleura secondary to noxious exposures, and defining cross-talk and signaling pathways between the pleura and the lung.
- Authored or co-authored numerous articles published in peer-reviewed journals oriented toward pleural disease.
- Teaches at University of Alabama School of Medicine.
- Diplomate of American Board of Internal Medicine.
- Holds a post on the Veterans Administration Respiration Merit Review Board.
- Serves on several National Institutes of Health committees responsible for funding important medical research projects around the nation.
- M.D. degree from Ludhiana Christian Medical College, India.