Joseph S. Friedberg is a board-certified general and thoracic surgeon who specializes in pleural mesothelioma.
- Serves as head of the Division of Thoracic Surgery at the University of Maryland Medical Center.
- Former chief of Penn Presbyterian Medical Center’s Division of Thoracic Surgery and head of the Thoracic Research Laboratory.
- Advocates use of laser treatment, photodynamic therapy, video thoracoscopic surgery, and minimally invasive procedures when appropriate.
- Leads investigational trials for malignant mesothelioma and actively pursuing development of a lung cancer vaccine.
- Teaches at the University of Maryland School of Medicine as the Charles Reid Edwards Professor of Surgery.
- Belongs to numerous national surgical organizations.
- M.D. degree from Harvard Medical School.