John R. Handy, Jr., is a board-certified general and thoracic surgeon who treats mesothelioma patients.
- Directs Providence’s Thoracic Surgery Program and co-directs the institution’s Thoracic Oncology Program.
- Working as lead surgeon on the hospital’s Thoracic Surgery Initiative.
- Specializes in pleurectomy and decortication procedures.
- Strives to achieve superior outcomes for his patients by using advanced surgical techniques plus extensive data collection and analysis.
- Has a strong research orientation.
- Answers patient and family questions clearly, concisely and thoroughly.
- Served as guest reviewer for articles published in multiple medical journals including Chest, Lung Cancer and Surgical Innovation.
- Authored or coauthored more than a dozen important articles published in peer-reviewed journals.
- Received an honorary doctorate from the National Medical Research Institute of Mongolia in recognition of his many achievements.
- Certifications from the American Board of Surgery and the American Board of Thoracic Surgery.
- M.D. degree from University of Georgia.