David H. Harpole Jr. is a board-certified general and thoracic surgeon who specializes in malignant pleural mesothelioma.
- Serves as vice chief of the institute’s Division of Surgical Services.
- Noted for his abilities in providing thoracic oncology care, general thoracic surgery and advanced thoracoscopic surgery.
- Research interests include biologic markers that signal cancer recurrence, molecular biologic staging, and reducing the risk of morbidity following general thoracic surgery procedures.
- Authored a number of peer-reviewed journal articles.
- Teaches at Duke University School of Medicine.
- Listed as a Castle Connolly “America’s Top Doctor” (2008 – 2012) and “America’s Top Doctor for Cancer” (2007, 2009 – 2012).
- Won a 2012 Patients’ Choice Award.
- M.D. degree from University of Virginia School of Medicine.