Charles R. Mulligan Jr. is a board-certified general and thoracic cardiovascular surgeon who treats mesothelioma.
- Chief of Thoracic Surgery.
- Strong proponent of video-assisted thoracic surgery (VATS).
- Recognized authority on cancer staging and prognoses.
- Served as chief of the Thoracic Surgery Section and chairman of the Thoracic Tumor Board at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.
- During Iraq War, was chief of thoracic surgery with the 28th Combat Support Hospital and then chief of general and thoracic surgery throughout Iraq.
- Began his military career as a combat engineer officer with the 24th Infantry Division based at Ft. Stewart, Georgia.
- After retiring from the Army, he led creation of the Thoracic Surgical Oncology Service at Centra Health and Pearson Cancer Center in Lynchburg, Va.
- Author of several published research papers and critiques.
- M.D. degree from Medical University of South Carolina.