David J. Sugarbaker, an eminent specialist in the diagnosis and treatment of malignant pleural mesothelioma, is a board-certified general and thoracic surgeon.
- Pioneered a successful treatment approach built around extrapleural pneumonectomy, chemotherapy and radiation.
- Directs the hospital’s Lung Institute as well as mesothelioma clinical and research programs.
- Mesothelioma clinical and research interests include minimally invasive surgery, lung volume-reduction surgery, and video-assisted thoracic surgery.
- Banked frozen samples of more than 1,500 tumors to help further research into the molecular markers of mesothelioma.
- Strong advocate of including surgery as an area of clinical investigation in cancer therapy trials.
- Teaches at Baylor Medical College; holds post of chief of general thoracic surgery in the Michael E. DeBakey Department of Surgery.
- M.D. degree from Cornell University Medical College.