Ariel Lopez-Chavez is a board-certified medical oncology and internal medicine physician who emphasizes personalized, compassionate and holistic care in the treatment of malignant pleural mesothelioma.
- Serves as director of the health system’s Lung Cancer and Thoracic Malignancies Clinic, and as leader of the clinic’s Thoracic Malignancies Site Disease Group.
- Believes mesothelioma treatment is most effective and least grueling when therapy takes into consideration the patient’s unique anatomic characteristics.
- Strongly favors use of novel molecular tools and targeted therapies.
- Collaborating with the National Cancer Institute on a cutting-edge clinical trial of molecular tests and the targeted therapies suggested by the results of those tests.
- Teaches in the University of Miami Health System as an associate professor of clinical medicine.
- Authored or co-authored more than two dozen peer-reviewed journal articles, most are on the topic of emerging and novel therapies for cancer treatment.
- Member of the American Association for Cancer Research, American Society of Clinical Oncology, American Medical Association, and Society for Clinical and Translational Science.
- Named a Top Five Oncology Provider for Exceptional Customer Service — Number One for medical oncology.
- Praised for work with underserved patient populations; serves as a board member of Project Access NOW and Familias en Acción, organizations devoted to providing health care for low income and uninsured Portland-area residents.
- M.D. degree from Autonomous University of Queretaro, Mexico.