Brian L. Pettiford is a board-certified general and thoracic surgeon. Mesothelioma is an area of focus for him as a lung-cancer specialist.
- Served as a lieutenant commander in the U.S. Navy Reserve medical corps.
- Favors use of minimally invasive procedures to treat mesothelioma while the cancer is in its early stages.
- Authored or coauthored more than 40 peer-reviewed clinical journal articles and book chapters.
- Taught surgery at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center from 2005-09.
- Fellow of the American College of Surgeons and the Society of Surgical Oncology.
- Member of the Society of Thoracic Surgeons and the Eastern Cardiothoracic Surgical Society.
- M.D. degree from University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine.