Wickii Thambiah Vigneswaran is a board-certified cardiothoracic surgeon who specializes in pleural mesothelioma.
- Internationally respected expert in the surgical management of mesothelioma and lung transplantation.
- Serves as director of the hospital’s Thoracic Surgery division.
- Previously was associate chief of Cardiac and Thoracic Surgery Department at University of Chicago Comprehensive Cancer Center, where he also served as director of the Lung and Heart-Lung Transplantation Program.
- Pioneer in the field of minimally invasive thoracic surgery; performs significant number of procedures using robot-assisted or video-assisted thoracic surgery techniques; strong advocate of managing diseases by following a multidisciplinary team approach.
- Authored more than 100 original articles and book chapters; edited an internationally authored textbook on lung transplantation; member of editorial review boards for several prestigious medical journals, including Chest, Annals of Thoracic Surgery, International Surgery, Clinical Investigation, Journal of Surgical Research, American Review of Respiratory Diseases, American Journal of Transplantation, and Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation.
- Leadership positions in several medical organizations, including the American College of Chest Physicians and the International College of Surgeons.
- Named a fellow of the American College of Surgeons, the American College of Chest Physicians, the Royal College of Surgeons and Physicians of Canada, the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, Scotland, and the Royal Society of Medicine, London.
- Listed as a “Top Doctor” by Chicago magazine, Marquis’ Who’s Who, America’s Top Surgeons, and Castle Connolly Medical’s physician rating service.
- Teaches at Loyola University School of Medicine.
- M.D. degree from University of Sri Lanka.